Friday, May 7, 2010

Harry Potter

Yep, this is the big post for now. Random, believe me, I know. But right now my day has had a major focus on Harry Potter, if you don't count the finishing of the puzzle on my coffee table. I am for the very first time reading the very first book of the series. I know, I know what you're thinking; shouldn't this girl have read this book 13 years ago? But guess what, and I know it's hard to believe it, but I've never read them. How is this possible? How did I live 23 years of my life without Harry? Although this could seem a mystery to most, unraveling the string that holds our universe together, I will attempt to explain. Now, I don't hate to read, I in fact love it, so I can't really use that excuse. But I do have one, and although many will try and cheapen it, it does not change the fact that this is why I never read it. I can actually say it in one word.

Fantasy. That's right. The fantasy genre has never really sparked my interest, as it has all my brothers, who are avid fans of the famous and classic fantasy, The Lord of The Rings. Now I've never fully read the books, though I've seen all the movies, and to my surprise, I quite enjoyed them. But the books, not so much. I did attempt to read the first one, but after 150 pages in, I gave up. I mean come on, 150 pages in, and they still hadn't even left the Shire. But fantasy is the true and real reason I've never picked up Harry Potter, and would probably still be in that boat if I wasn't taking a class known as Children Literature.

So now I'm around the same spot I was in The Lord of The Rings, 150 pages. Surprisingly to me, I don't want to put it down, but this isn't to say that I absolutely love it. But it is definitely holding my interest much more than The Lord of The Rings. Could I read nine books of these? It too early to tell you an answer for that. Only time will tell i suppose. And for some extra added enjoyment, here's a super cheese picture of me with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment